Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lebanon - a poem


You told me of your travels

How you had felt there, alone

The nights were dark and hot

Full of stars and melting candles

Wine and figs and conversation

Endless thoughts mingled with smoke

And your hands could not be still

You wanted to touch those minds


You told me of your travels

The sea cooled your unrest

Soothed the passion in your body

You saw colours you'd never seen

Eyes you never imagined existed

Hope, despair, and a will to continue

Underneath the wandering sun


You told me of your travels

Long days in the desert sand

Nights drowned by moonlight

Listening to those harsh voices

Sharing their endless pain

Becoming part of their conflict

Willing the wine to bring slumber


Your told me of your travels

You wanted to share your growth

And you wouldn't let me sleep

Pacing the room all night long

Throwing up your hands in wonder

Your hard legs striding, striding

Your black hair bright with perspiration.

2 comments: